I loathe winter but I make do as I don’t have the necessary funds to jet around the world following warm weather. So I make do and take advantage of one of the few benefits of Winter-Soup. Whenever I think of cold weather, I think of this soup. It’s spices and fragrant lemongrass are perfect to give it a lift above a plain sweet potato soup.
Whatever you do, only use the tender parts of the lemongrass. The first time I made this, I had no idea about lemongrass and my dinner guests were left with grassy pieces of lemongrass in their soup.
Sweet potato & coconut soup
- 1kg sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoons oil
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 red chillies, chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass, finely chopped (do not used stringy green part)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon palm or brown sugar
1. Steam sweet potato for 10 minutes until tender and soft. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat, add ginger, cumin seeds, chiles and lemongrass and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Place sweet potato and cooked spice mixture ina food processor or blender with 1 cup of hte stock and process until smooth. Add the other cup of stock and process again.
4. Place puree in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add coconut milk and palm sugar and stir until soup is simmering and hot.
If you enjoyed this post, why not share it with your friends?