I had one of those moments, you know the ones that occur every now and then when you try on your jeans – you know the ones that if you can’t fit into them, you know you have to cut down on the cakes – and they were a little too snug for comfort. I knew exactly why they were too snug, and I knew exactly what I needed to do. It was to make this dip and to snack on it instead of snacking on other less healthy options. I find that when I am peckish, especially around the witching hour of 4pm, I need something crunchy and this dip is great as it gives a nice plain cracker some pretty colour as well as a fabulous taste. It’s also pretty easy with a total of 3 (or 4) ingredients although I will say that most of the work is in the actual preparation of the beetroot.
This is a seriously great dip and I think this was helped along by two things that I bought in the Easter Show’s Best of Show Deli bag: the fabulous Pane Croccante by Brasserie Bread that I served it with from and the ambrosially creamy Country Valley Lush natural yogurt. I didn’t use any fresh herbs as I only had basil and I wasn’t sure if that would work but rest assured it is good without them. Something that I do find is that with beetroot you do get an “earthy” or “dirt” flavour but I didn’t detect any with this dip. And did I mention the jeans now fit again?
Healthy Beetroot Dip
An original recipe by Not Quite Nigella
- 3 fresh beetroots
- 5 cloves good quality garlic
- 250ml natural Greek style yogurt
- fresh herbs like dill or mint (optional)
- crackers to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200c/400F. Wash beetroot and trim the tops so that 1-2cms remain (about an inch). Place trimmed beetroot on a baking tray along with the garlic still in it’s skin and cover with foil and bake for 1 hour until it becomes soft. Cool thoroughly and then place your surgeon’s latex gloves on and peel the skin off. Cut into quarters and remove garlic from skin.
2. Place the beetroot pieces, garlic, yogurt and herbs if using and process until well blended. Scrape down sides once or twice just to make sure it is combined.
3. Break up croccante and serve with dip.
If you enjoyed this post, why not share it with your friends?