There is something just so transporting about the smell of passionfruit and coconut. Along with pineapple, it reminds me of being on holidays. Perhaps its because the poolside bar often serves a tropical cocktail made up with all three ingredients. Another thing that also remind me of the the passionfruit iced Vanilla slice. So you see, I have two good reasons to like passionfruit.
These cakes are incredibly moist, the cakes are stirred through with passionfruit (and I snuck in some pineapple too), dunked in passionfruit jelly, rolled in coconut, lopped in half and spread with whipped cream and passionfruit curd. They are a bit fiddly in that you need to do a few parts (I used some gorgeous bought passionfruit curd) but once you see your guest's faces when they bite in and feel the deep squelch of the soft, fruity, luscious cupcakes its worth every effort.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Share your creations by tagging @notquitenigella on Instagram with the hashtag #notquitenigella
Tropical Holiday Passionfruit cupcakes
For the cupcake
- 90g butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup self raising flour
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup of crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1/4 cup passionfruit pulp (1-2 passionfruits depending on size)
- 1 packet passionfruit jelly made according to directions but not until set, the consistency is still liquid
- Dessicated coconut
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- 1/3 cup of passionfruit curd (bought or you can make your own using this recipe replacing lemon with passionfruit but the recipe yields a lot, not a problem as it is delicious!)
Step 1 - Preheat oven to 150c fan forced or 170c non fan forced.
Step 2 - Add all ingredients into a mixing bowl except for pineapple and passionfruit and mix on low speed until combined and then a higher speed until batter becomes pale. Stir in pineapple and passionfruit and spoon into patty tins.
Step 3 - Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool in tin.
Step 4 - Carefully take cupcake liners from cupcakes. Dip cakes in jelly and remove them. Sprinkle coconut over cakes and leave jelly coated cakes to set in fridge.
Step 5 - Slice cakes horizontally in half and spread with passionfruit curd and cream. Eat and moan with pleasure.